Makersmiths in the news/blogosphere:
- Loudoun-Times Mirror Article Fall 2014
- UAV/Drone blog on our ribbon cutting
- Area Maker/blogger on first impressions, after the ribbon cutting
Maker newsThe Maker Movement will emerge as the dominant source of livelihood as individuals find ways to build small businesses around their creative activity and large companies increasingly automate their operations. John Hagel, Deloitte, The Impact of the Maker Movement
How the maker movement is making life easier entrepreneurs BRW
President Obama at the White House Maker Faire: “Today’s D.I.Y. Is Tomorrow’s ‘Made in America'” “Our parents and our grandparents created the world’s largest economy and strongest middle class not by buying stuff, but by building stuff — by making stuff, by tinkering and inventing and building; by making and selling things first in a growing national market and then in an international market — stuff “Made in America.” — President Barack Obama at the first-ever White House Maker Faire, June 18, 2014.
Let’s make sure our children embrace the new maker culture Inside3DP
Brit + Co report sheds light on the S.F., national maker movement San Francisco Business Times (blog)
So, this exists: A working car has been 3D-printed out of carbon fiber…Washington Post (blog)-Sep 19, 2014
Everything you need to know about open innovation; Forbes
How LEGO Built Up From Innovation Rubble Forbes
Maker HistoryNew Yorker article Avamptato article
- Maker Movement Reinvents Education – Newsweek
- Why the Maker Movement Is Important to America’s Future …Time
- Maker Education Initiative – Every Child a Maker, makered.org/
- How the Maker Movement Is Transforming Education. www.weareteachers.com
- Makers: The new industrial revolution. Anderson, C. (2012). –By former Wirededitor and DIY Drones CEO Chris Anderson (The Long Tail, etc.)
- Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for innovation in the new world of crafters, hackers, and tinkerers. Mark Hatch, CEO of TechShop
- Zero to Maker: Learn (Just Enough) to Make (Just About) Anything Lang, David
- Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work Crawford, Matthew B.
- I am a maker <video 1:13>
- Dale Dougherty: We are makers | TED Video 11:47
- Maker Mayors Action Report – great insight – 10 action items to assist city governments in building local capacity (25 pages)
- University of Virginia Miller Center: Building a Nation of Makers
- The Maker movement makes its mark – USA Today article with great insight –
- The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution Isaacson, Walter
- Make Space: How to set the stage for creative collaboration Doorley, S., & Witthoft, S. (2012).
- The Makerspace Workbench: Tools, technologies, and techniques for making. Kemp, A. (2013).
- Make: Ultimate Workshop and Tool Guide. Make. (2011).
- Makerspace Playbook: School edition. Makerspace. (2013).
- High School Makerspace Tools & Materials. Makerspace. (2012). .
- Maker Club PlaybookYoung Makers. (2012).
- Invent to Learn: Making, tinkering, and engineering in the classroom. Martinez, S.L., & Stager, G. (2013).
- Creative Confidence ,Airsid Tpb
- Play: How it shapes the brain, opens the imagination, and invigorates the soul. Brown, S.L. (2009)..
- From STEM to STEAM: Using Brain-Compatible Strategies to Integrate the Arts Sousa, David A. (Anthony)
- Tinkering: Kids Learn by Making Stuff, Curt Gabrielson
- Design, Make, Play: Growing the Next Generation of STEM Innovators Honey, Margaret
- Mindset: The new psychology of success. Dweck, C.S. (2006).
- Mindstorms: Children, computers, and powerful ideas. Papert, S. (1993).
- Adafruit Industries
- Mouser Electronics
- Maker Shed
- Makerbot 3D Printers
- Local Motors
- Make: Electronics
- Make: Arduino Bots and Gadgets: Six Embedded Projects with Open Source Hardware and Software
- Getting Started with Arduino
- Getting Started with Processing
- 30 Arduino Projects for the Evil Genius
- Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
- The Best of Make (Make 75 Projects from the pages of MAKE)
- 62 Projects to Make with a Dead Computer: (And Other Discarded Electronics)
- The Best of Instructables Volume I: Do-It-Yourself Projects from the World’s Biggest Show & Tell
- Haywired: Pointless (Yet Awesome) Projects for the Electronically Inclined